Fossil Experience Tour
@ Gansfontein paleo extension
In this tour you will:
- Experience geology
- See newly discovered footprints
- Do fossil footprint hunting.
The tour is 2 hours long, self-drive
- Early mornings and late afternoons are better, especially in summer.
- The footprints are more highlighted by the shade made by the sun.
- Best photo opportunities are at sunrise.
We meet at our office, 47 Voortekker Street, Fraserburg – see map.
- We drive to road cutting 3.5km on the Williston road.
- See different layers of pre-historic mud rock
- Geology explained
- Drive to Gansfontein gravel pit
- See modern wave ripples,
- mud crack marks and
- pool edge marks
- Drive to Gansfontein paleo extension, 2km on a good gravel road.
- Geology and paleo forming explained
YOU WILL EXPLORE:
- Newly discovered footprints
- Discover pre-historic wave ripples paleo
- Discover different rocks
- If lucky, discover your own pre-historic footprints
- Your own humanity
- And more…
We go back to town.
If not yet done, we go to the Old Pastorie Fossil Museum for a guided tour.
- A lifelike Bradysaurus example
Fossils of a:
- Bradysaurus skull
- Fish fossils
- Some examples of “to be touched” fossils.
COST: SA CITIZENS
- R150 per adult (min 2)
- R75 per child (From 3rd child: free)
COST: NON SA CITIZENS
- As per quotation
Make a booking below, or at 0848730098